Saturday, February 11, 2012

WiTh lOvE FrOm Sreejesh Nair...




"The hand of God works in very mysterious ways. I met Stephen Devassy around 2 months after the Rockstar concert in mumbai, but we spoke like the friends we were when we met 10 years back in Chethana. He was studying music and I was studying sound with his bother Sam Devassy. I am no one to speak about his immense talent. I have no right to talk about the years of hard work he has put into becoming what he is today. Yet, I cannot but draw inspiration from what he is. 

Everyone has seen a celebrity after attaining that status. Very few people know the hardship they take to be where they are today. He sang a song by Michael W. Smith yesterday. This draws from a deep rooted dream and wish. I remember an evening in Ottapalam, 10 years ago, when I was on the way to his house to have a look at his system, he told me. "I wrote to Michael W. Smith. I hope he replies. I want to be able to sing his song on stage one day." He may have done it before on a different stage, but yesterday, when he sang, it was not the song or music that filled me. It was the realisation of a dream that I was witnessing that inspired me. 

Everyone can be humble on the way to achieving a status. But to remain so, after attaining that level, is where the true test lies. Without fail, Stephen aces that. I am a Film Sound mixer by profession. I cannot but put it in his words as he spoke to my family saying, "I perform when you see me on stage, but he (technicians) perform with what we perform to make that magic. Those are performances you dont see." No one can state that in a better way than a gifted performer himself. 

Hardwork and dedication always pays off. He is a testimony to that. You dont need to be a performer or a musician for hardwork and practice to start showing. Even when I mix, I have seen practice make things easier for me. But passion for something with eliminates the feeling that its hard work. It becomes a step towards attaining something unexplained. A personal dream, a quiet moment of satisfaction when you reach there. 

You may be an atheist, a non believer, a religious person or any one. But when you see him perform, you cannot but marvel at the wonder of a higher power that is present. In his words, "I may not be a born musician. But I was gifted by the Almighty."



Sreejesh Nair is currently working as Sound Designer/Mixer in Mumbai. He was a classmate of both Stephen Devassy & Sam Devassy at Chethana Sound Academy,Thrissur.

2 comments:

Sreejesh Nair said...

I studied at Chetana Sound Studio, not the music academy. :)

vivek kadavath said...

Thanka for the info bro!!!